Welcome to the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) Website
The Medicare HOS is the first patient-reported outcomes measure used in Medicare managed care. The goal of the Medicare HOS program is to gather valid and reliable clinically meaningful data that have many uses, such as targeting quality improvement activities and resources; monitoring health plan performance and rewarding top-performing health plans; helping beneficiaries make informed health care choices; and advancing the science of functional health outcomes measurement. Managed care plans with Medicare Advantage (MA) contracts must participate.
Each spring a random sample of Medicare beneficiaries is drawn and surveyed from each participating Medicare Advantage Organization (MAO) that has a minimum of 500 enrollees (i.e., a survey is administered to a different baseline cohort, or group, each year). Two years later, the baseline respondents are surveyed again (i.e., follow up measurement). Cohort 1 was surveyed in 1998 and was resurveyed in 2000. Cohort 2 was surveyed in 1999 and was resurveyed in 2001, and so on. During the most recent HOS administration (2019 Round 22), Cohort 22 was surveyed and Cohort 20 was resurveyed using HOS 3.0. For data collection years 1998-2006, the MAO sample size was one thousand. Effective 2007, the MAO sample size was increased to twelve hundred.
What's New on the Medicare HOS
- Regulatory Response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. CMS has issued an Emergency Interim Final Rule that delays Medicare Health Outcomes Survey data collection until late summer. CMS is continuing to monitor the situation to see if further adjustments are needed. Additional information will be provided in the coming months. The Interim Final Rule is available here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/06/2020-06990/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-policy-and-regulatory-revisions-in-response-to-the-covid-19-public.
- Late Winter 2019 Semi-annual HOS Newsletter is now Available. This edition of the HOS Newsletter was released in March 2020. You may contact the HOS Information and Technical Support email (email@example.com) to sign up for the email distribution.
- REVISED Description of the Physical Functioning Activities of Daily Living (PFADL) Measure. The PFADL is a new longitudinal change measure derived from the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS). The revised version includes updated methodology for the calculation of the measure.
- NEW Medicare HOS Information and Technical Support email is active! The new email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HEDIS® 2020, Volume 6: Specifications for the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) is Available. Additional information is available in the Methodology section of the Resources page.
- 2016-2018 Cohort 19 Analytic Public Use File (PUF) Available. The PUF may be downloaded from the Research Data Files section on the Data page. The Data Users Guide (DUG) may be downloaded from the Data Users Guides link on the Data page.
- 2020 Survey Administration Memos for HOS Survey Vendors and Medicare Advantage Organizations (MAOs). The memos containing the requirements for the 2020 HOS administration year have been posted under the Survey Administration section.
- The 2020 Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) Approved Survey Vendors List is Available. Final approval of the survey vendors was contingent upon participation in the HOS 2020 Survey Vendor Training (conducted in February 2020).
Helpful Links For information about the availability of auxiliary aids and services, please visit: https://www.medicare.gov/about-us/accessibility-nondiscrimination-notice.
This page was last modified on 04/20/2020
|Privacy | Contact Us | FAQs | Glossary | Program Partners|