Welcome to the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) Website
The Medicare HOS is the first patient-reported outcomes measure used in Medicare managed care. The goal of the Medicare HOS program is to gather valid and reliable clinically meaningful data that have many uses, such as targeting quality improvement activities and resources; monitoring health plan performance and rewarding top-performing health plans; helping beneficiaries make informed health care choices; and advancing the science of functional health outcomes measurement. Managed care plans with Medicare Advantage (MA) contracts must participate.
Each year a random sample of Medicare beneficiaries is drawn and surveyed from each participating Medicare Advantage Organization (MAO) that has a minimum of 500 enrollees (i.e., a survey is administered to a different baseline cohort, or group, each year). Two years later, the baseline respondents are surveyed again (i.e., follow up measurement). Cohort 1 was surveyed in 1998 and was resurveyed in 2000. Cohort 2 was surveyed in 1999 and was resurveyed in 2001, and so on. During the most recent HOS administration (2019 Round 22), Cohort 22 was surveyed and Cohort 20 was resurveyed using HOS 3.0. For data collection years 1998-2006, the MAO sample size was one thousand. Effective 2007, the MAO sample size was increased to twelve hundred.
What's New on the Medicare HOS
- NEW 2020 HOS and HOS-Modified (HOS-M) Fielding Timeline. In response to the impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE), administration of the 2020 HOS and HOS-M will take place from August to November 2020. The updated 2020 HOS Program Timeline and HOS-M Program Timeline are now available. The memo and the updated HOS QAG Addendum provide more information about the survey.
- 2017-2019 Cohort 20 Performance Measurement Data Available. The data and accompanying Data Users Guide (DUG) were made available to participating MAOs for download following the CMS announcement to Health Plan Management System (HPMS) users on August 3, 2020. The data are distributed via electronic Secure File Transfer and participating MAOs may request their data by contacting the Medicare HOS Information and Technical Support email (email@example.com). The designated data recipient will receive an email from the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox containing instructions and a link to the Secure File Manager facility. The DUG may also be downloaded from the Data Users Guides link on the Data page.
- 2017-2019 Cohort 20 Performance Measurement Reports Available. The HOS reports were made available to participating MAOs via the HPMS on August 3, 2020. The contract-level summary data file distributed with each MAO report includes results for two HOS functional health measures that are part of the Medicare Part C Star Ratings, and the new Physical Functioning Activities of Daily Living (PFADL) display measure. MAOs may contact their CMS Quality Point of Contact to download the HOS reports and the summary data or contact CMS at email@example.com for help with HPMS access. A Sample Performance Measurement Report with actual national HOS data is available in the Overview section on the Resources page. The MAO Performance Measurement Contract List specifies the participating MAOs. The list is also available on the Survey Results page.
- 2019 HOS-M Data Available. The HOS-M data and DUG were made available for plans to request following the CMS announcement to HPMS users on July 6, 2020. Participating Program of All Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) organizations may obtain their data by contacting the Medicare HOS Information and Technical Support email (firstname.lastname@example.org). The DUG may also be downloaded from the HOS-Modified page.
- Regulatory Response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. CMS has issued an Emergency Interim Final Rule that delays Medicare Health Outcomes Survey data collection until late summer. CMS is continuing to monitor the situation to see if further adjustments are needed. Additional information will be provided in the coming months. The Interim Final Rule is available here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/06/2020-06990/medicare-and-medicaid-programs-policy-and-regulatory-revisions-in-response-to-the-covid-19-public.
- 2019 Cohort 22 Baseline Reports Available. The reports were made available to participating MAOs via the HPMS on May 29, 2020. The contract-level summary data file distributed with each baseline MAO report contains three HOS HEDIS® Effectiveness of Care measures that are part of the Medicare Part C Star Ratings. MAOs may contact their CMS Quality Point of Contact to obtain access to the HOS reports and the summary data. If assistance is required regarding HPMS access, MAOs may contact CMS at email@example.com. A Sample Baseline Report with actual national HOS data may be found in the Overview section of the Resources page.
- 2019 HOS-M Reports Available. The HOS-M Reports were made available to participating PACE organizations via the HPMS on May 29, 2020. Plans may contact their CMS Quality Point of Contact to obtain access to the HOS-M reports. A Sample PACE Report with actual national HOS-M data may be found in the Overview section of the Resources page.
- Late Winter 2019 Semi-annual HOS Newsletter Available. This edition of the HOS Newsletter was released in March 2020. You may contact the HOS Information and Technical Support email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign up for the email distribution.
- REVISED Description of the PFADL Measure. The PFADL is a new longitudinal change measure derived from the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS). The revised version includes updated methodology for the calculation of the measure.
- NEW Medicare HOS Information and Technical Support email is active! The new email is email@example.com.
- HEDIS® 2020, Volume 6: Specifications for the Medicare HOS Available. Additional information is available in the Methodology section of the Resources page.
- 2020 Survey Administration Memos for HOS Survey Vendors and MAOs. The memos containing the requirements for the 2020 HOS administration year have been posted under the Survey Administration section.
- The 2020 Medicare HOS Approved Survey Vendors List is Available. Final approval of the survey vendors was contingent upon participation in the HOS 2020 Survey Vendor Training (conducted in February 2020).
Helpful Links For information about the availability of auxiliary aids and services, please visit: https://www.medicare.gov/about-us/accessibility-nondiscrimination-notice.
This page was last modified on 08/26/2020
|Privacy | Contact Us | FAQs | Glossary | Program Partners|